Liberty Through Wealth Advisory Panelist Mark Skousen relates to Benjamin Franklin in more ways than one.
Like Franklin, Mark has a rags-to-riches story. He grew up in Portland, Oregon, in a family of 10 children. And after finishing school, he became a successful entrepreneur and publisher.
Like Franklin, Mark has a doctorate (in economics and monetary history), which he earned from George Washington University. In addition to having taught economics and finance at Columbia Business School, Mark is currently the Benjamin Franklin Presidential Professor at Chapman University in California.
Franklin published the Pennsylvania Gazette and Poor Richard’s Almanac. Since 1980, Mark has been the editor-in-chief of the award-winning investment newsletter Forecasts & Strategies.
Franklin was a diplomat and secret negotiator with the French and other allies. Mark was an economic analyst for the CIA in the early ’70s.
Like Franklin, Mark is a successful author and publisher of books, including The Maxims of Wall Street and Investing in One Lesson. In 2006, upon the 300th anniversary of Franklin’s birth, he and his wife completed Franklin’s famously unfinished autobiography under the title, The Compleated Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (Volume Two: 1757-1790).
Like Franklin, Mark is a true believer in reason, self-determination, hard work and liberty. He is the founder of FreedomFest, an annual gathering in Las Vegas of the freedom movement from around the world.
And finally, like Franklin, Mark is married with five children and five grandchildren. He’s also lived abroad in eight countries and visited more than 77.
With all these uncanny comparisons, it shouldn’t surprise you to learn that not only does Mark relate to our revered founding father but he is, in fact, an eighth-generation direct descendant of Franklin himself.
From 2005 to 2007, Mark was the Chairman of Investment U, the predecessor of Liberty Through Wealth. It’s given that lineage that he continues to write for it today as a monthly contributor.
Articles by Mark
- The Best Investment Vehicle Ever Invented December 21, 2018 - The radical changes on Wall Street didn’t end in the 1970s. In fact, in 1993 came another revolution...
- Will Gridlock on Capitol Hill Sink the Mother of All Bull Markets? November 16, 2018 - There are many reasons to be optimistic. A divided Congress has been historically well received by Wall Street, GDP is growing at 4% and gross output is growing even faster.
- Are We Headed for Another Crash and Great Recession? October 17, 2018 - I’ve learned that Armageddon can be postponed time and time again. But it may be time to sound the alarm.
- What’s the Best Safe Haven During a Financial Crisis? September 11, 2018 - For us innocent investors, what is the best way to protect ourselves in anticipation of a short-term crisis or stock market crash?
- Eureka Moment in My Financial Class at Chapman August 15, 2018 - Gross output - an accounting statistic I developed - is a more accurate and comprehensive measure of the economy than GDP because it includes the supply chain.
- High-Tech Profit Is Here July 18, 2018 - Our country breeds innovators, scientists and entrepreneurs. So how can you invest today in the next great breakthroughs and disruptive technologies?
- Is Saving for Losers? June 13, 2018 - The well-known axiom “A penny saved is a penny earned” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin. But modern thinkers say that advice is outdated...
- Higher Dividends Predict Faster Earnings Growth April 18, 2018 - Rob Arnott, the “godfather of smart beta,” warns investors to stay away from flashy money losers like Tesla and instead gravitate toward high-dividend-paying value stocks like...
- This Bull Market Can Last Longer Than You Think! March 21, 2018 - Prior to this century, two bull markets lasted up to 12 years. The current bull is in year nine. So how much more of a melt-up do we have left?
- Why the Long-Run Strategy Beats Market Timing February 21, 2018 - Temptation is hard to overcome unless you have tremendous self-control. When it comes to enticing investment strategies, Mark advises you find your inner will...