Liberty Through Wealth Advisory Panelist Mark Skousen relates to Benjamin Franklin in more ways than one.
Like Franklin, Mark has a rags-to-riches story. He grew up in Portland, Oregon, in a family of 10 children. And after finishing school, he became a successful entrepreneur and publisher.
Like Franklin, Mark has a doctorate (in economics and monetary history), which he earned from George Washington University. In addition to having taught economics and finance at Columbia Business School, Mark is currently the Benjamin Franklin Presidential Professor at Chapman University in California.
Franklin published the Pennsylvania Gazette and Poor Richard’s Almanac. Since 1980, Mark has been the editor-in-chief of the award-winning investment newsletter Forecasts & Strategies.
Franklin was a diplomat and secret negotiator with the French and other allies. Mark was an economic analyst for the CIA in the early ’70s.
Like Franklin, Mark is a successful author and publisher of books, including The Maxims of Wall Street and Investing in One Lesson. In 2006, upon the 300th anniversary of Franklin’s birth, he and his wife completed Franklin’s famously unfinished autobiography under the title, The Compleated Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (Volume Two: 1757-1790).
Like Franklin, Mark is a true believer in reason, self-determination, hard work and liberty. He is the founder of FreedomFest, an annual gathering in Las Vegas of the freedom movement from around the world.
And finally, like Franklin, Mark is married with five children and five grandchildren. He’s also lived abroad in eight countries and visited more than 77.
With all these uncanny comparisons, it shouldn’t surprise you to learn that not only does Mark relate to our revered founding father but he is, in fact, an eighth-generation direct descendant of Franklin himself.
From 2005 to 2007, Mark was the Chairman of Investment U, the predecessor of Liberty Through Wealth. It’s given that lineage that he continues to write for it today as a monthly contributor.
Articles by Mark
- A Democratic Sweep in November Could Be the End of the Bull Market February 20, 2020- Democratic presidential candidates have been attacking Wall Street left and right. If a Democrat wins, it will mean trouble for wealth builders.
- Why the Hot Hand of Investing Never Lasts January 29, 2020- Why can’t the market’s top hedge fund managers stay on top for long? There are a few reasons, and they’re important to know if you want to grow your wealth.
- 2020 Vision: What Could Go Wrong? December 30, 2019- The 2020 election could have major implications for our economy and the stock market. Here’s what you can do to protect yourself and grow your wealth.
- Paul Volcker’s Gift That Keeps On Giving December 18, 2019- If there is one person we should thank for the lengthy bull market we’ve been enjoying, it’s Paul Volcker. Today, we examine his legacy of financial economics.
- Invest in Stocks or Start a Business? Talk to Chuck! October 23, 2019- What’s the secret of wealth, starting your own business or investing in stocks? Contributor Mark Skousen sat down with Charles Schwab himself to find out.
- Warren Buffett’s Success Is Due to Skill, Talent and Experience September 25, 2019- Although some people believe Warren Buffett’s luck may be running out, others feel that his investment strategies will stand the test of time.
- Gold Finally Makes a Comeback… For Good? August 28, 2019- It’s been a long time since gold has seen the spotlight. Is it finally here to stay? Maybe not, but investors can access future profits with a gold ETF.
- Kevin O’Leary on the “Cold Hard Truth” About Money and Investing July 24, 2019- At this year’s FreedomFest, Kevin O’Leary shared his “cold hard truth.” Mark Skousen discusses which of O’Leary’s ideas resonate for building wealth.
- Is the No. 1 Goal to Maximize the Stock Price? June 27, 2019- Some business leaders feel it should be all about making money for the shareholders, while others seek a higher purpose. Which approach is best?
- The Inside Story From Two Billionaire Entrepreneurs May 24, 2019- Two of the world’s most creative billionaire entrepreneurs have some interesting advice to share about entrepreneurship and building wealth.